Women experience heightened rates of physical threats and sustained harassment online

Posted on Updated on

Pew survey of Online Harrassment shows women are tormented more often, and severely, than men.
Pew survey of Online Harrassment shows women are tormented more often, and severely, than men.

Read more:

For Women, The Internet Can Be a Scary Place at New Republic.

Download a pdf of Pew’s Online Harrassment survey here.



Russell Howard – The difference between US vs UK Ebola news coverage

Video Posted on Updated on

Gaza – war and bearing witness in real time

Posted on Updated on

Israeli Defense Force Paratroopers in Gaza.
Israeli Defense Force Paratroopers in Gaza.

“If Vietnam brought war into the living room, the last few weeks have put it at our fingertips. On our phones, news alerts full of body counts bubble into our inbox, Facebook feeds are populated by appeals for help or action on behalf of victims, while Twitter boils with up-to-the-second reporting, some by professionals and some by citizens, from scenes of disaster and chaos.”

David Carr on how media technology is changing the way war is reported on, and experienced in his excellent piece At Front Lines, Bearing Witness in Real Time in The New York Times.

Write like a motherfucker

Posted on Updated on

"Write like a motherfucker" photograph via www.crazytownblog.com
“Write like a motherfucker” photograph via http://www.crazytownblog.com

“Writing is hard for every last one of us—straight white men included. Coal mining is harder. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig. You need to do the same. … So write… Not like a girl. Not like a boy. Write like a motherfucker.”

Writing advice from Cheryl Strayed, author of the best-selling memoir Wild.

Via 3QuarksDaily.



All that is most worthy

Posted on Updated on

Carter G Woodson


Via By Heart – a literary influence series created by The Atlantic which features writers on their favourite quotes, with illustration.

Now Dutch readers can buy stories from virtually any large Dutch media with one click

Posted on Updated on

Blendle takes content from 15 or so of the Netherlands’ top newspaper and magazine publishers and allows users to buy stories individually, with just a click, no matter where they were originally published. The publishers set the price and take 70 percent of the revenue while Blendle takes the other 30 percent. But Blendle needed a way to convince readers that they weren’t risking too much by, say, clicking on that overwrought trend piece about gezichtshaar. (That’s Dutch for facial hair.)

Read the full story at The Nieman Journalism Lab.

Crowdfunding critical thought: How alternative finance builds alternative journalism

Posted on Updated on

“Not only is investigative journalism the most expensive style of journalism, but it is also the most likely to incur further liabilities once a story gets published. Providing finance to underdog investigative journalists – fronting them money to go off in search of stories – has always been a risky undertaking.” Read the full story by Brett Scott at Contributoria.